Sunday, July 20, 2008

BIG BUGS...13 OF THEM



"Insects play a vital role in a garden, but are unnoticed, so I put them on on such a large scale that you can't help but notice them."
- David Rogers, the Artist

MY GOOD FRIEND Karen (we also work with the same company) and I have one thing in common... we find so much joy in gardening. Yesterday we spent most of the day exploring the beauty and wonders of the Garden in the Woods in Framingham, MA. RI is so tiny that visiting the nearby states of Connecticut or Massachusetts is such a breeze.

The garden is a living museum of 1,500 native plant varieties including rare and endangered species. And the highlights of the garden are David Roger's 13 gigantic natural wood insect sculptures. I am not squeemish at all when it comes to insects or bugs but I loathe snakes! When I was young, I found so much joy in catching dragonflies and sometimes I would ripped their little wings off! Would that make them a dragon since they can't fly anymore? o^_^o

Enjoy the photos...or may I say... proceed at your own risk!



















And to view the rest of the photos (I took over 40 of them!), please click HERE.

9 comments:

Sunny said...

What a great Blog.... Puts mine to shame
At the moment I have to do @ the library...so can't download much personal... Hope to get computer again soon.....
'Just passin thru'

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Wow, those are pretty big bugs!!! Growing up as a city girl I rarely saw a bug, so I thought I was afraid of them. But having been in the country for many, many years I thank them for cleaning up the garden. (I still prefer them out of doors, however.) Thanks for the tour! : )

Alexandra MacVean said...

holy freakin' fried chocolate covered bananas!! Seriously! Those are some huge bugs! :) I have come to appreciate some of them in regards to my photography...but, I still prefer them to keep their little toes and/or wings...outside! :)

Anne Fannie said...

I hate bugs. I know some are good for the garden, but I really wish they would go next door!

Meg said...

Thats a really cool place! I probably don't live too far from it either! I don't really do gardening but I would go just to see the big insects.

Alexandra MacVean said...

Hope you have a good day. :)

Anonymous said...

I would love to have some of those inanimate creatures in my gardens! I have a big alligator that is steel (well, it's probably about 3 feet long) that I have on some flagstone. Tried to take a pic of it this morning, but the shot didn't come out well. Anyway, these are some good ones. I like the real ones that gobble up bad garden varmints. But I like these as art.
Brenda

My Arts Desire said...

Hi Connie,
I'm late in visiting all the posts for Pink Saturday. Thanks for stopping by my place!
Your blog is simply beautiful. What wonderful photography!! Just out of curiosity, what type of camera do you use?
I had a dear friend from the Phil. who moved back to Manila after working in the states for years. We lost track of each other and whenever I see something that reminds me of her it makes me smile. She was the sweetest of sweets. So your post made me think of my dear friend, Bendie!

Happy Tuesday!
xo
Sue

ALI said...

I meant to comment sooner! I had no idea we had a place like this close by, do you think a little kid would get much out of it?
I loved the bugs, and you take great pictures, see you over the fence, i need to get to bed!