Saturday, July 19, 2008

PINK PHILIPPINES

WELCOME TO MY 2nd Pink Saturday and thanks to everyone who visited and left lovely comments on my very 1st PS. In case you missed it, please click HERE.

And as always, thanks to Beverly @ How Sweet the Sound for hosting this fun and cool event.

Today, I'll take you all for a quick virtual tour of my country. I'm originally from the Philippines but I recently became a US citizen. Our culture may be different but we surely share the same passion for PINKNESS. Enjoy...

And since we don't need a car (it's considered a luxury)...we can hop in on one of these. The tricycles are the preferred ride when travelling short distances. And this town (wherever it is) only knows one color!

Image via Flickr

For long distance travel, we can take the jeepney (aka The King of the Road). They were originally made from US military jeeps left over from the World War II and are well known for their flamboyant decoration and crowded seating...

Image via Flickr


Image via Flickr

I've never been to a SINULOG parade (this might be similar to the MARDI GRAS in New Orleans). This is an annual festival to honor the child Jesus and and is actually a dance ritual that commemorates our pagan past and our acceptance of Christianity. PINK is obviously the color of choice for this "queen"!

Image via Flickr

And this is one of my favorite desserts. Halo halo (literally means "mix mix") is the Philippine version of the sundae but with a tropical twist. I wish you all lived near me and we can have a halo halo party... o^-^o

Image via Pinoy Recipe


Image via Flickr

My friend Karen and I are going to Framingham, MA today to visit the New England Wild Flower Society. I will visit everyone's PS as soon as I get home.

I wish everyone a happy weekend!

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terrific post, Connie. I loved learning more about where you were born, and how fun seeing all of the pink there.

Have fun today, and Happy Pink Saturday.

Dawn said...

Thanks for that wonderful tour!!! I loved the pictures you shared. I also like the information you shared with us. I'm glad you like Pink Saturday!! It's fun to get to meet new people and visit old friends!

Happy Pink Saturday!
take care,
Dawn

Darlene said...

I LOVE all the pink vehicles and what a fun way to get around. Hope you have a wonderful Pink Saturday!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Connie! Love the pink transportation! The sundaes look so yummy. Have a beautiful pink saturday...

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Oh Connie! FABULOUS! Not only beautifully pink but educational as well. You're a smart cookie. : ) I'll be bringing my kiddoes back by here to see the pink tour of your homeland.

Hope you had a great time today. Can't wait to see the pics.

XO -- Debbie

p.s. I'm so frustrated with my slr attempts. Grrrrrr! Right now I call my family my "staff" and they willingly oblige. BUT -- I'm not giving up. : )

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Hello Connie!

What wonderful pictures you have shared for PINK Saturday! LOVE the PINK BUS!!! To cute!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Anne Fannie said...

Hi Connie, I love all those pink vehicles!
What great pictures!
Love, Ann

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Cute pink transportation! My daughter would love these! :) My son's 2nd grade teacher was from the Philipines and was such a blessing to us! ~Rhonda

windycorner said...

Loved the "insiders" tour. All the pink tricycles lined up made me wonder how people remember where they parked. Thanks for visiting windycorner and leaving your kind comment.
Happy Pink Saturday!
Holley

FancyHorse said...

What a nice idea for a Pink Saturday! I'll try to find some pink, and do one of of these weekends.

Vanessa Greenway said...

I really enjoied seeing those pink buses! So cool! xo Vanessa

Gone said...

The PINK queen and PINK sundae were my favorites!!

~Blessings,
Jan

Heidi said...

Hi Connie, Your post was just so interesting to hear about & it was "pink"!! Wonderful mix of the two!...Have a nice Sunday!...Heidi XO

Anonymous said...

How interesting, Connie!

I love all of the PINK! I have always wanted a PINK Volkswagon bug!

I love the little scooters!

Thank you for sharing, and have a wonderful PINK DAY!

Donna

Anonymous said...

I want a Halo Halo right now. And oh my goodness how I love the pink public transportation. What a fabulous post Connie. ~ Lynn

Anonymous said...

Those pink buses are a hoot. Love it. The pink desserts look yummy and I could use some right now.

Thinking pink and loving it.

Jeanne

said...

Neat post. My husband enjoyed seeing the jeepneys. He spent a week in the Phillipines when he was in the Marines back in the '80s.

Cami said...

Hi Connie! Love all the pink. Incredible what was done to the old vehicles left behind. Artful! I love all things tropical tasting. And this has nothing to do w/anything, but I sure have mailed a lot of packages from my store to the Phillipines lately. I've sent lots of collectible old dolls there. Take care!

Shirl said...

Hi Connie, cute pics here for your Pink Saturday! Sundies look yummy too! I scrolled your blog a little and your last week Pink Sat. was so cute too. I love the crochet and the cross stitch! I love to do both.
Blessings, Shirl
Shirls Rose Cottage

Anonymous said...

your country certainly has some gorgeous things to photograph! i love that sundae especially!! have a great pink week.

Margie said...

Hi Connie. I love the pictures! All that pink is wonderful!

Just last week I was able to meet my sister in law for the first time, and she is originally from the Philippines as well! It was such a joy to finally meet her!

Glennis said...

Hi, Connie. What a great blog you have. I'm very interested in your sharing your culture. It reminds me of L.A., where I live, and also of the time I spent touring with the national company of Miss Saigon, where many of our performers were Filipina and Filipino. How cool. Plus, you are into pretty things!